In a particular junior welterweight bout, scheduled for eight or six rounds, knockout artist Elvis “The Dominican Child” Rodríguez will face Argentine veteran Luis Alberto Verón.
The Falcao vs. Akavov, Rodríguez vs. Veron and different preliminary bouts will air stay on ESPN + at 6:45 pm ET / 3:45 pm PT. The night continues stay on ESPN and ESPN3 (10 pm ET / 7 pm PT) with the showdown between Mexican warriors between WBC tremendous featherweight world champion Miguel Berchelt and former world champion Oscar Valdez, and junior light-weight contender Gabriel Flores. Jr. vs. former world title challenger Jayson Velez.
Falcao (27-0, 19 KOs), ranked No. 5 by the IBF and WBO, is a seven-year-old skilled who ended his wonderful beginner profession with a 215-15 document. He has received 4 consecutive bouts by knockout, together with an eighth-round knockout of Mexican veteran Jesús Antonio Gutiérrez in July 2019. Akavov (20-3, 9 KOs) practically dethroned WBO middleweight world champion Billy Joe Saunders in December 2016, dropping a controversial determination in England, Saunders’ residence nation. He challenged for a similar world title in January 2019 and was overtaken by Demetrius Andrade en path to a loss by technical knockout within the 12th spherical. Akavov final fought in October 2019 and knocked out 50-fight veteran Sergei Melis in 5 rounds.
“I’m able to face the perfect in my class. My opponent is an effective fighter, however I’m higher. I’m able to be a world champion and there is no such thing as a boxer to cease me, ”Falcao mentioned. “I’m coaching very arduous with Robert García, sparring with the perfect as a result of I’m among the best. On February 20 I will present the world that I’m able to be the world champion at 160 kilos. “
Rodriguez (10-0-1, 10 KOs) emerged as one in all boxing’s high prospects in 2020, going 5-Zero with 5 knockouts, together with 4 struck at “La Burbuja” at MGM Grand Las Vegas. The Dominican final fought on October 9 and turned the second man to knock out 37-fight veteran Cameron Krael. Veron (18-2-2, 9 KOs) has by no means been knocked out as knowledgeable and is a former WBO Latin and South American welterweight champion. He’s coming off a aggressive determination loss to 2012 Olympic bronze medalist Taras Shelestyuk in January 2020.
“I wish to present the world who Elvis Rodríguez is. I wish to present that I’m prepared for the large fights, ”Rodríguez mentioned. “I do know I deserved to be the prospect of the yr and not being named has motivated me greater than ever. I battle with whoever. I will by no means deny an opponent. I’m right here to turn out to be a world champion. I’m very grateful for the alternatives that my promoter firm High Rank is giving me and for the efforts of my whole workforce. This yr I wish to be topped world champion at 140 kilos. I’m going to point out who I’m via actions within the ring, not via phrases or social networks ”.
IN OTHER PRELIMINARY FIGHTS ON ESPN +:
• Xander Zayas (6-0, 5 KOs), the Puerto Rican prodigy who celebrated his 18th birthday this previous September, will face Philadelphia native James Martin (6-1) in a six-round welterweight battle. Zayas signed with High Rank at age 16 and hopes to increase his knockout streak to 4 towards Martin, who has by no means been stopped in paid ranks.
“Since my final battle, I’ve had prolonged camp and have been lucky to coach quite a few world champions and high fighters, which has given me nice expertise,” mentioned Zayas. “I’m excited to battle on February 20 and put on a present for my followers.”
• Undefeated junior lightweights of Mexico Bryan Lua (7-0, Three KOs) and Puerto Rican Frevian González (4-0, 1 KO), will collide in a six-round match. González and Lua received two fights every inside MGM Grand Las Vegas’ “La Burbuja” final yr, with Lua scoring a knockout over Luis Norambuena of their first battle after a 27-month hiatus.
• Sonny “The Bronco” Conto (6-0, 5 KOs), the South Philadelphia heavyweight, is ready to return from a 13-month layoff towards Waldo Cortés (6-3, Three KOs) in a four-game match assaults. Conto struggled with numerous accidents all through 2020, however is prepared for a busier 2021.
• Milwaukee-born middleweight sensation Javier Martínez (2-0) will make his third look in MGM Grand Las Vegas’ “La Burbuja”, this time in a four-round match towards Montana native Billy Wagner (3 -1, 1 KO).
• Certainly one of Puerto Rico’s brightest younger abilities, Omar Rosario (2-0), will make his Las Vegas debut in a four-round welterweight battle towards undefeated teammate Uriel Villanueva (1-0). Rosario, a 23-year-old from Caguas, received the 2020 Olympic trials for his residence nation earlier than selecting to show skilled.
Use the hashtag #BercheltValdez to affix the dialog on social media. For extra info, go to www.toprank.com, www.espn.com/boxing; Fb: fb.com/trboxing; Twitter: twitter.com/trboxing; twitter.com/ESPNRingside.