An 18-year-old man named Demarcus Vega has been arrested in connection to the murder of a Fresno street vendor, the Fresno Police Division introduced on Thursday.
ISAI PEREZ: And he didn’t do something. He didn’t need any issues. He simply wished to work and earn cash for us.
– By way of tears, the household of Lorenzo Perez, a father of 4, is left at a loss after the Fresno street vendor was shot and killed Sunday afternoon in broad daylight. Fresno police are nonetheless wanting for the suspect who pulled the set off.
ISAI PEREZ: He was onerous working, he actually didn’t deserve this. Didn’t should go like this.
– Fresno police say the suspect walked as much as Perez, had a dialog with him, then shot and killed him alongside Pierce Avenue. Relations say Perez used to do yard work however finally began to promote meals to help his children and household in Mexico.
– [NON-ENGLISH SPEECH]
– Perez’s son even helped his dad construct his cart and fill up on meals. It was a job he says Perez loved and did day-after-day.
ISAI PEREZ: When he got here again from work, he would inform us how some folks had been dancing to his music and it introduced him pleasure. He loved what he did. He appreciated going out to promoting.
– However it was additionally a job that wasn’t at all times simple or secure.
ISAI PEREZ: Folks would simply need issues low cost or they’d need it for free. However when my dad stated no, they’d flip aggressive on him. They might snatch issues from the cart.
– The town is stepping in to assist, elevating over $40,000 for the household as of Monday night time. Mike Ounceswith Fresno Street Eats additionally plans to match a $500 donation to assist.
MIKE OZ: Their oftentimes half of the neighborhood, half of the household. So to see one thing like that’s nearly like a direct assault on you and your loved ones.
– Perez and his household are actually hoping the suspect accountable is delivered to justice as they proceed to grieve.
ISAI PEREZ: I don’t need every other household going by it mine is.