A hospital in Pennsylvania has found itself embroiled in a serious condition. It had some waterborne germ that killed at least three of the infants among the eight premature infants. The Geisinger Medical Center in Danville, Pennsylvania The deadly outbreak was found affecting the neonatal intensive care unit at the hospital.
The tests have indicated to the presence of Pseudomonas bacterium, and the presence of the parasite was found on the equipment used for measuring and administering the donor milk. In fact, the hospital has now claimed that they have now been opting for a single-use equipment.
It may be noticed that the bacteria are quite common and do not necessarily cause any harm in humans. However, if the patients are fragile in terms of their immunity levels, they can be fatal. The hospital has decided to send the expectant mothers and the premature babies to the other centres until the case is taken care of.
Dr. Edward Hartle, Geisinger’s executive vice president and the chief medical officer, has issued a statement apologising to the parents of the affected babies. The hospital is facing an ongoing litigation in this case and did not come up with any specific inputs with respect to the litigation or how it plans to tackle it.