General News

Will Smith’s ‘Bright’ sequel reportedly canned by Netflix after Oscars slap

Another Will Smith project has been slapped down.

Netflix has allegedly canceled a sequel to the 53-year-old’s 2017 action flick “Bright,” according to a Bloomberg source.

The business outlet also reported that National Geographic is delaying production on “Pole to Pole,” a nature series that follows the “King Richard” star as he visits the North and South Poles. Filming was set to begin in three weeks, according to Bloomberg, but has been pushed back to fall 2022.

However, Bloomberg noted that the decision to halt “Bright” was allegedly unrelated to the slap heard around the world.

Smith caused major controversy when he bopped Chris Rock in the face at the Academy Awards last month.

The incident caused him to be banned from attending the Oscars for the next 10 years. However, he’s still able to keep the Best Actor award that he won on that fateful night in March.

Smith also resigned from the Academy earlier this month over the incident during the live telecast 

TOPSHOT - US actor Will Smith holds his award for Best Actor in a Leading Role for "King Richard" as he attends the 2022 Vanity Fair Oscar Party following the 94th Oscars at the The Wallis Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts in Beverly Hills, California on March 27, 2022. (Photo by Patrick T. FALLON / AFP) (Photo by PATRICK T. FALLON/AFP via Getty Images)
The “Bright” actor was still able to keep his golden statuette after slapping Rock on camera during the telecast.
AFP via Getty Images

Several other of the “Fresh Prince of Bel-Air” star’s projects have come to a standstill after the Oscars slap moment.

A separate Netflix film and a movie for Sony have been put on hold, The Hollywood Reporter said on April 2.

Netflix was in the midst of finding a new director for “Fast and Loose” after original filmmaker David Leitch left the flick ahead of the Academy Awards.

Since the incident, Smith has apologized to Rock and resigned from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
Since the incident, Smith has resigned from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
AFP via Getty Images

Sony is also holding its breath for “Bad Boys 4,” which had started pre-production before the awards ceremony. 

Smith previously responded to the Oscars ban following their ruling on April 8, telling Page Six in a statement: “I accept and respect the Academy’s decision.”

“The Board of Governors has decided, for a period of 10 years, from April 8, 2022, Mr. Smith shall not be permitted to attend any Academy events or programs in person or virtually, including but not limited to the Academy Awards,” the Academy said in statement at the time.

“We want to express our deep gratitude to Mr. Rock for maintaining his composure under extraordinary circumstances,” the organization continued. “We also want to thank our hosts, nominees, presenters and winners for their poise and grace during our telecast.”

About the author

Tina Sanders

Tina is the mind behind Gruntstuff.com, and she ideated it when she was working for an online magazine company where she used to cover US-based headlines news. She holds a degree in journalism and has more than 4.5 years of experience in an online magazine company. She had the idea while working there but when she was quite sure about starting something on her own, she took the risk and left the job to start Gruntstuff. Since then she added a few team members, and along with them, she creates General US news content on the site.

Add Comment

Click here to post a comment